Yep, I've had basically the exact same opinion as @delphij about the copyright. Let's go with Intel.
Wed, Jan 26
So seems like it's easier to just do it all in core.lua, which is where lots of config accesses are anyway.
Mon, Jan 17
Sun, Jan 16
err, I have not addressed the "isUEFIBoot" thing and the "This file needs a copyright / license at the top" thing…
Sat, Jan 15
Thanks! Can you also MFC it to stable/13 after a week?
Fri, Jan 14
Is this waiting for anything else before it gets committed?
Nov 16 2021
Nov 15 2021
I did a minor edit on the proposed commit message to clarify some things (sorry I do not have it as a diff)
As a result, although the tests on 32-bit architectures with ASLR enabled were
mostly on par with what was observed on 64-bit ones, the defaults for the
former are not changed. Also, for the sake of safety keep the feature disabled for 32-bit
executables on 64-bit machines, too.
Yes, leave it. I think it is verbose but explicit so that more people can notice that if pointed to.
I suggest also dropping the
In case any change in the OS behavior is observed, that can be possibly caused by this patch, it is recommended to use firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list for reporting and discussing the encountered issue. Also,
Nov 12 2021
I think it is better to provide short and concise list of potential issues with ASLR, like this:
- changed ABI due to modified layout of address space
- address space fragmentation
- non-reproducable address space layout between runs
- harder debugging
- some debuggers automatically disable ASLR for spawned targets, making target' environment different between debug and non-debug runs
Nov 4 2021
Limit setting of __elfN(pie_aslr_enabled) for only 64-bit PIE binaries.
Nov 2 2021
Oct 29 2021
Hi! Any comments/remarks to the updated version?
Oct 25 2021
Oct 23 2021
Oct 22 2021
Oct 18 2021
I'm refreshing the discussion. The current status is following:
- PIE enabled by default in 64-builds.
- Ports' exp-run issues are fixed (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=214864)
- Fixes for the outstanding bugs ntpd (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=253208) and Firefox/Thunderbird (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=239873) landed on Friday. Hopefully this will cover all cases that might have remained unknown until now.
Sep 19 2021
Sep 17 2021
Sep 6 2021
Oops, didn't meant to block after the amendment.
Jul 27 2021
Testing this on an RPi4 would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker.
Now loading with a separate preload type