This is three new chapters for the porters handbook with the following intent:
- Introduce the ports system
- Describe the tools used for creating a port
- Describe the bsd ports make process
- Describe the files and folders in a port
- Explain the process of creating a port patch (or new port) with the existing tools
- Explain the process for submitting a patch and what to expect.
These chapters are created from three sources: the original content, a donation by koobs@, and my own contributions. This is a very rough draft and is incomplete. The files do not currently build. For more background please see the discussion on doc@ titled "Porters Handbook section 4.4"
2017-11-05: RH - Clarification: The intent of this update is to remove the chapters porting-why, quick-porting and slow-porting as all the information has been subsumed into these chapters.