The libsysctl is an interface to the kernel sysctl-mib-tree.
It implements wrappers around undocumented "sysctl.*" kernel states to get mib-entries info and provides a convenient API to build a mib-entry, entries-list and mib-tree in userspace.
The advantages to have libsysctl are:
- an easy API to the kernel sysctl mib-tree,
- a handy mib-entry implementation,
- building entries-list and mib-tree in userspace,
- writing quickly a custom sysctl(8) tool,
- changes to kern_sysctl.c interface won't upset userspace tools.