OCRmyPDF adds an OCR text layer to scanned PDF files, allowing them to be
searched or copy-pasted.
- Generates a searchable PDF/A file from a regular PDF
- Places OCR text accurately below the image to ease copy / paste
- Keeps the exact resolution of the original embedded images
- When possible, inserts OCR information as a "lossless" operation without disrupting any other content
- Optimizes PDF images, often producing files smaller than the input file
- If requested deskews and/or cleans the image before performing OCR
- Validates input and output files
- Distributes work across all available CPU cores
- Uses Tesseract OCR engine to recognize more than 100 languages
- Scales properly to handle files with thousands of pages
- Battle-tested on millions of PDFs
It's also listed on the "WantedPorts" FreeBSD wiki page.