TrueOS has been using OpenRC successfully for many years in base and ports.
The goal is to integrate OpenRC into the FreeBSD RC system, allowing either
RC system or OpenRC to be chosen at boot, and OpenRC ports RC scripts for the
entire ports tree. As for now the plan is to get this into the base, and
bring these to ports in the second step .
- init.d scripts are not automatically Symlink to runlevels (work in progress)
- not ready for FreeBSD base packages (work in progress)
- patch base, build world/kernel/installworld/etcupdate
- add rc_system="openrc" to /boot/loader.conf
- use rc-update to add network ssh etc to your runlevels
This work has been done by the following people:
Kris Moore (kmoore) (iXsystems) (init work)
Joe Maloney (iXsystems) (init work / init.d scripts )
Ken Moore (iXsystems) (init.d scripts)
Martin Wilke (iXsystems) (porting from TrueOS to FreeBSD)
FreeBSD Demo Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvQFRmyxbY&feature=